Written by Meredith Hink MS, RD, CD
Serving Size: 14 pita pockets with ½ cup each filling and romaine lettuce
Forget the chopsticks and take out box! This sweet and hot dish with crunchy lettuce and bite-size, breaded tofu is ready to go in its own pita pocket. No utensils required.
- 1 large banana – peeled and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 -20 oz can pineapple chunks in juice, reserve juice
- 1 -12 oz block extra-firm tofu, pressed
- 1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb frozen broccoli stir fry mix
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and sorted into leaves
- 7 pita pocket rounds – split in half
- Combine banana, 2 Tbsp of soy sauce, chili powder, and ¼ cup reserved pineapple juice in a blender and blend for 30 seconds until a sauce is formed.
- Cut tofu into 40 one-inch cubes.
- Toss tofu in banana-soy sauce and then roll in panko bread crumbs.
- Heat 1 Tbsp canola oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Fry tofu in oil, rotate to a different side every 4 minutes until sides are golden brown.
- While tofu is frying, heat 1 Tbsp canola oil in a second skillet over medium heat.
- Stir fry vegetable mix, pepper flakes, 2 Tbsp of soy sauce, pineapple chunks, and dried cranberries over medium heat for 10-15 minutes until vegetables and fruit are cooked and liquid has reduced to a glaze.
- Toss tofu in stir fry mix.
- Place 1 lettuce leaf and 1/2 cup stir fry into each pita pocket.