Submitted by: Meredith Hink MS, RD, CD
Yield: 7 sandwiches
Hungry for a quick sandwich that packs a lot of flavor into a little package? This recipe can be prepared in less than 10 minutes and is as easy to make for one as it is for many. The bagel thins can be substituted with rye bread for a more traditional reuben or a pocketless pita.
Thousand Island Dressing
- ½ cup Original Vegenaise®
- 2 Tbsp. ketchup
- ½ tsp. Tabasco® sauce
- 1 oz. dill pickle (1 small pickle) – finely diced
- Pan spray
- 3 ½ cups coleslaw
- 1 – 7 oz. pkg. tempeh smoky maple bacon flavor (14 slices per package)
- 1 – 7.3 oz. pkg. vegan Swiss cheese slices
- 1 pkg. whole wheat bagel thins
- Combine Vegenaise®, ketchup, Tabasco®, and diced pickles in a bowl. Produces approximately 2/3 cup sauce. Refrigerate until use.
- Heat frying pan over medium heat. Spray with pan spray. Place coleslaw in pan. Top with tempeh bacon slices. Cook two minutes. Flip and add seven slices vegan Swiss cheese. Cook two minutes.
- Toast seven bagel thins. Place approximately 1 ½ Tbsp. Thousand Island dressing on one half of each bagel thin.
- Divide tempeh mixture into seven servings. Place on top of the bagel thin half with Thousand Island dressing. Top with other half of bagel thin.