Written by Meredith Hink MS, RD, CD
Yield: approximately 7 cups
Stroganoff is one dish that can be fixed in a hundred different ways. It can be composed of many ingredients, or just a few. This simple stroganoff recipe highlights the juicy texture of the mushrooms and seitan. It is light on sauce but still full on flavor.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
- 6 oz. dry whole grain extra wide noodles
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 14 ½ oz. vegetable broth
- 8 oz. package of seitan
- 1 tsp. thyme, dried
- Heat oil in medium saucepan until warm.
- Add mushrooms and chopped onions and sauté until onions are soft and semi-translucent.
- Add garlic.
- In a separate pan bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Add whole grain noodles and cook 5-6 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, add flour to saucepan to create thick sauce.
- Add vegetable broth.
- Once sauce is boiling, add seitan and thyme.
- Toss with cooked, whole grain extra wide noodles.
Nutritionals (per 1 cup)
Calories: 168; Calories from Fat: 34; Total Fat: 3.6 g; Saturated Fat: 0.5 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Total Carbohydrates: 24 g; Dietary Fiber: 3.6 g; Sugars: 2.3 g; Sodium: 365 mg; Protein: 12 g; Vitamin A: 5.86 IU, Vitamin C: 1.93 mg; Calcium: 25 mg; Iron: 1.82 mg
*Broth nutritionals based on reconstituted Knorr® Vegetarian Vegetable Bouillon – 1 cube reconstituted.