Written by Meredith Hink MS, RD, CD
Yield: 6 cups
This refreshing, summer salad has slight hints of the sea without any fishy ingredients. Onion and celery lend a crunch to this otherwise soft salad. Also tastes great if you refrigerate it overnight to pack in your lunch the next day. For extra crunch, serve on a bed of mixed salad.
- 1 ½ cups dry (3 cups cooked) whole wheat mini shell pasta
- 1 – 15 oz. can no salt added garbanzo beans
- 1 cup diced, yellow onion (1/2 large onion)
- 2 stalks diced celery (approx. 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup green peas
- 2/3 cup Original Vegenaise®
- 1 tsp. Old Bay® seasoning (30% less sodium)
- ½ tsp. dried dill weed
- Prepare whole wheat shells according to package directions. Once cooked, rinse under cool water.
- Place can of garbanzo beans in food processor and pulse 4-5 times or until garbanzo beans are finely shredded.
- Combine whole wheat shells, garbanzo beans, onion, celery, green peas, Vegenaise®, Old Bay® seasoning, and dill weed in a large bowl. Refrigerate until cold.
Nutritionals (per 1 cup serving)
Calories: 353, Calories from Fat: 160; Fat: 18 g; Saturated Fat: 1 g; Trans Fat: 0 g; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Sodium: 230 mg; Carbohydrates: 36 g; Fiber: 7 g; Sugar: 4 g; Protein: 9 g; Vitamin A: 5% DV; Vitamin C: 10% DV; Calcium: 5% DV; Iron: 15% DV