Submitted by: Meredith Hink MS, RD, CD
Yield: 8 fruit toast pieces
A delicious breakfast is a wonderful gift that we can give to ourselves and our loved ones each and every day. Fruit toast is a take on French toast, but without the use of butter, eggs, or syrup. This recipe is meant to be a springboard for your own creations.
- 4 English sourdough muffins, cut in half
- 1 banana, mashed
- ½ cup coconut water
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp ginger
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Various fruits – bananas, strawberries, apricots, apples
- Nuts – sliced almonds, chopped peanuts, chopped walnuts
- Further toppings – chopped dark chocolate, balsamic vinegar mixed with brown sugar, dried cranberries
- Turn the broiler on high.
- Toast each English muffin half under the broiler or in a toaster until lightly toasted.
- Heat a medium size frying pan over medium heat. Add olive oil to frying pan.
- Mix mashed banana, coconut water, vanilla, and ginger.
- Dip each toasted English muffin half in the banana and coconut water mixture.
- Place English muffin half on heated frying pan. Heat 2 minutes, then flip and cook a further 2 minutes.
- Top English muffin halves with different mixtures of toppings such as strawberries with balsamic vinegar and brown sugar, apricot slices with thinly sliced almonds, bananas with chopped peanuts and dark chocolate, and thinly sliced apples with craisins and chopped walnuts.
- Place English muffin halves on a broiler pan lined with aluminum foil. Broil briefly for 2 minutes, keeping the broiler door open so you can watch for burning.
- Enjoy warm – no butter or syrup necessary!