Written by Natalie Martin MS, RD
A kid-friendly treat, perfect for a hot summer day!
Cool off this summer with a vegan “nice cream.” This recipe is a plant-based version of “cookie-dough” ice cream and you will be asking for more after one bite.
- 1 15oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 pitted dates
- 2 Tablespoon peanut butter (no sugar added)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- 6 medium bananas, peeled, halved and placed in the freezer for at least 3 hours
- ¾ – 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a food processor, blend garbanzo beans, dates, peanut butter, vanilla extract and cinnamon until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- With a spatula, stir in cacao nibs.
- Flatten dough onto a piece of parchment paper until its’ about ½ inch thick.
I lined a 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper, added the dough, put another piece of parchment paper on the top and then pressed it flat to fill the pan.
- Place flattened dough into freezer for 3 hours or more.
- When ready to make the Nice Cream, remove dough from freezer and cut into ½-inch squares.
- Add frozen bananas, ¾ cup almond milk and vanilla to food processor and blend until smooth. Add an additional 1/4 cup of almond milk, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, if needed.
- Stir together nice cream and cookie dough chunk squares.
- Serve immediately, or, for a more firm texture, freeze in a sealed container 1-2 hours prior to serving.