Chivda Cream of Wheat Halwa
- 1/2 cup cream of wheat (sooji)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons blanched slivered almonds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon golden raisins (optional)
- 4 cardamom pods
- In a heavy saucepan combine cream of wheat and ghee. Heat over medium low heat, stirring constantly until cream of wheat turns golden brown (about 15 minutes). Add almonds and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add water, stir and bring to a boil.
- Stir in sugar. Cover with a lid, leaving a small crack open to allow steam to escape. Reduce heat and simmer for 10–15 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed, stirring occasionally. (Stir carefully to avoid burning as the halwa tends to splatter.)
- Add raisins and stir, if using. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Remove seeds from cardamom pods and crush with a mortar and pestle. Garnish the halwa with the cardamom powder. Let stand for 5-10 minutes. Halwa will thicken as it cools.
- Makes: 6 servings (3 cups)
- Serving size: 1/2 cup
- Amount per serving: Calories: 160; Carbohydrate: 28 g; Fat: 5 g; Dietary fiber; 1 g
- Saturated fat: 2.5 g; Protein: 2 g; Sodium: 2 mg
Recipe from the New Indian Home Cooking, Madhu Gadia, MS, RD.